Water is one of the most fundamental elements that contribute to living. In extreme situations, the human body can survive only a week without water. As the body is made up of 75% of water, its depletion brings about severe consequences. That is why it is advisable to consume a minimum of 8 glasses or 2 liters of water per day.
Talking about workout or training, hydration is essential for that as well. If fact, it is needed even more when you train amidst hot weather. In the humid and hot environment, the body tends to lose more fluids in the form of sweat.
The importance of keeping yourself hydrated while training in the summer is immense. It is vital to note that when you exercise, the body produces sweat to remove heat and revert to the optimal temperature.
However, if the loss of fluids is not replaced with fluids while exercising, it can harm health. It can cause heat stress and interfere with the efficient functioning of the body. To ensure that your body functions well, one must drink fluids while sweating.
You can ask your Personal Trainer to know how dehydration can lead to several health hazards. These include headaches, mood changes, fatigue, cracked lips, weakness, hallucinations, muscle cramps, confusion, etc. If not rehydrated in time, it can affect the mental and physical performance.
Advantages of Being Hydrated
There are numerous benefits that you can attain from hydration. These include –
- Increases Energy: Being hydrated can increase the energy level and improves movement. It also assists in attaining mental clarity while training.
- Maintains Thermoregulation/ State of Equilibrium: Hydration helps in enhancing thermoregulation i.e. maintaining the internal temperature of the body. This helps in preventing heat exhaustion, cramps, heat stroke, etc.
- Reduces Risk of Injury: When your body is hydrated it functions well and reduces the chances of injuries.
- Improves Muscle Function: It is essential to note that hydrated muscles fare better than dehydrated ones.
- Enhances Blood Circulation: Hydration assists in the improved circulation of blood in the body. Moreover, it also aids in the efficient oxygen delivery and nutrients to the muscles.
- Regulates of Blood Pressure: Staying hydrated aids in the maintenance of blood pressure while exercising.
- Removes Metabolic Waste: Staying hydrated helps to remove metabolic waste from muscles and makes up for the water lost in the form of sweat.
Can hydration lead to a reduction in injury risk?
It is true that dehydration can lead to muscle fatigue which can then enhance the chances of injury. Thus, staying hydrated can lead to reduced injury risk.
In essence, hydration plays a major role in ensuring that the training goes smoothly during the hot summer. The personal trainer London can offer valuable tips like consuming water and sports drinks to ensure hydration.